Breeder Code of Ethics
- Hits: 980
All RRSSC club members that breed dogs know, understand, and adhere to the high standards of our Breeder Code of Ethics.
Breeder Code of Ethics
The Code provides a guideline for the use of RRSSC members when buying, breeding, selling and exhibiting Standard Schnauzers. The Code intends to set forth a standard of practice for members of RRSSC, recognizing their role as Preservationists of the Standard Schnauzer breed and having a common interest in the well-being of the breed and individual dogs that RRSSC members own and produce in their breeding programs.
As Preservationists of the breed, members of RRSSC who also breed Standard Schnauzers, should strive to breed conscientiously and take responsibility for the lives they produced.
As a RRSSC Preferred Breeder, I will
- Make every effort to learn the current Standard Schnauzer Breed Standard and all breed inherited traits.
- Be familiar with AKC rules concerning record keeping, registration, sale and transfer of dogs, and abide by these rules.
- Produce puppies only when I have the time and facilities to provide adequate attention to physical and emotional development and retain or house only the number of dogs for which I have adequate facilities.
- Ensure all service agreements will be mutually agreed upon, stated in writing and signed by all parties involved.
- Ensure my breeding stock pass all health tests specified by the Standard Schnauzer Club of America (“SSCA”) and have a CHIC number. Should an injury prevent a passing grade, a written opinion by a licensed veterinarian stating the dog is highly unlikely to pass on a genetic defect to its offspring is highly recommended to ensure healthy breeding. The stud dog or bitch should pass the eye certification within twelve months of breeding.
- In accordance with AKC Rules and Regulations, if my Stud dogs is a frequently used Stud Dog (bred 3 or more times in a single year), he shall have his DNA on file with the AKC.
- Ensure all stud dogs and bitches will be bred with the intentions to improve the breed as defined by the SSCA breed standard and strive to produce puppies of good quality so they serve to improve and complement the breed.
- Ensure all dogs offered at stud and all bitches shall not be intentionally bred prior to passing all health tests. The stud and the bitch shall be in good health, physically and temperamentally sound, free from all communicable diseases, and free from disqualifying genetic faults at the time of breeding. It is highly recommended the stud and bitch has proof of a negative brucellosis test before breeding.
- All stud owners are encouraged to verify the bitch owner is a responsible owner and breeder. No stud dog will be bred to any bitch whose owner is directly or indirectly involved with any puppy broker, puppy mill, pet shop, litter lot sales, or any other commercial enterprise whose business is involved in like activities.
- Refrain from further use of a stud or bitch that has become affected with or has produced any serious inherited defects or diseases detrimental to the animal’s well-being (such as blindness, lameness, deafness, deformities, or impairment of the vital functions) and who consistently produces like results with different mating partners.
- If serious inherited diseases or defects are discovered I will notify, in writing, all owners of the offspring who are using the offspring in their breeding programs of the inherited disease or defect, so they can remove the affected dogs from their breeding program.
Selling and Placement of puppies and dogs: As a Preferred Breeder with RRSSC, I will
- Honestly evaluate the physical structure and mental qualities of all Standard Schnauzers sold.
- Not misrepresent any puppy or dog sold.
- Act as a mentor to the buyers of my dogs and encourage an open dialog, for the life of the dog, with all buyers or adopters.
- Sell or place my Standard Schnauzers with individuals who give satisfactory evidence they will give the dog proper care and attention.
- Ensure all terms of sale or placement arrangements (including rehoming) shall be mutually agreed upon, stated in writing, and signed by all parties involved.
- With each puppy, I shall furnish to each buyer, at the time of sale, complete medical records (including all vaccinations given, deworming, and other medical information of each puppy), a three-generation pedigree and AKC registration or transfer documents (unless there is a written agreement at the time of sale stating why the papers are being withheld).
- I will also ensure each puppy I produce is microchipped. I will encourage purchaser to register, and keep current, the microchip info with the appropriate registry. As an option, I may encourage purchaser to list me as a secondary contact on the registry
- Provide an application to the SSCA and RRSSC (if owner is within the RRSSC geographic area) to each new buyer and help in the application process.
- Replace or refund the purchase price of any puppy with a serious congenital health problem, as diagnosed by a licensed Veterinarian.
- Encourage the buyer to be a responsible dog owner, treating all dogs owned by the buyer humanely by providing them with adequate food, water, shelter, veterinary care, exercise, grooming, socializing and training necessary for the dogs to be good family companions.
11. Take responsibility for the puppies produced by my bitch, including taking any dog back or assisting in the placement into another home if the owners of the puppy or dog cannot take care of the dog either permanently or on a temporary basis. Should any of the dogs of my breeding be found in rescue I will take immediate responsibility by removing it from rescue and tending to its needs.